On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:02:09 +0100
Thom May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> * Noel J. Bergman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote :
> > Personally, I think that announce@apache.org is the correct place for a
> > monthly ASF newsletter.
> I'm vaguely ambivalent, but I really think that we should keep
> announce for announcements, and have something else for sitewide "of
> interest" stuff.

I am still not sure the difference between
announce@httpd.apache.org
and
announce@apache.org

The former is for http server project's activities and the latter is
for the ASF-Wide activities, right?

Then, announce@apache.org is suitable for the newsletter, because
it fits to the "Apache News and Announcements: The Apache Announcements
list contains news and announcements about the foundation and its
projects. Announcements of major software releases, new projects, and
other important news are included. Messages are posted only by the
Foundation; there is no discussion."

*If* the latter is for httpd only (or major? products only),
it might not be suitable for "The Apache Newsletter", i agree.

Each TLP (in the ASF) has it's own announce list, and it is
really suitable for the release/news of each TLPs' subprojects
and related projects. Then, when can we use [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For HTTP Server's news?? .. THERE'S [EMAIL PROTECTED]
..."announce for announcements"! Isn't that enough!?!?

.. anomaly ?

Jakarta Newsletter had been published to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and there were less objections for this, IIRC. I am not sure why
there might be objections for the announce@apache.org to "ASF-Wide
Newsletter".

> >I don't
> > have any problem with the sentence, "I have been translating some of the
> > Apache Jakarta projects' websites into Japanese now [3]", in the context of
> > introducing himself, although that need not be repeated in future
> > newsletters.
> +1
> -Thom

Oh, yes. It was because of the "first" release. It will never
happen again.

--

Anyway, my concern is:
"How I can evangelize the developers' efforts efficiently

... This is my raison d'^etre in the ASF activities.

I am waiting the *constructive* and *smart* suggestions and
opinions. Forking to yet another mailing list is, IMHO, not a
good idea for now... see the "Geronimo"'s pattern. Many guys had
wandered off because they did not know how to subscribe to the
appropriate mailing list(s).

... Please guide me to the right direction.

Also, please let me know

I can not figure them out even now.

--

The process of the creation of XML/HTML/E-mail for newsletter from
the row data (apachewiki) is not so much a burden to me

I knew that there had been two release news in HTTP Server project
last month and there was no *editor*/*contributor* to the
newsletter. SO, i had to write articles after all,
nevertheless I had not been participating in *any* httpd projects'
mailing lists. (I did not put my name to the "Editor:" line.
You can see my activities thru
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?action=history&id=ApacheNewsletterDrafts/Issue1
... it was a pain.)

This is a *big* problem for me.

--

As Joshua mentioned, "monthly newsletter is asking a little too much".
Bi-Monthly or Quarterly would be the best (Takin' *Quarterly Board

Sincerely,