Though I personally support the patent protest; and have been heavily
donating bits, bandwidth,bytes and storage to the cause as a private
citizen; I am not too eager to see the ASF jump into the political arena.

So count it as a -0 for me.

As this is certainly not in one issue which in my opinion directly relates
to US (the ASF) or to open source.

Sure - _if_ patent offices in europe are as bad/careless as in the US and
_if_ cost recovery is made harder and _if_ the originality clase is swept
under the table and _if_ the courts turn the table so that proving prior
art suddenly becomes expensive in the EU.. then it may have an adverse
effect on open source.. But then again - that is a lot of 'if's. And one
can even see ways for Open Source to protect itself using EU patents
linked to its own prior art at very low cost - and using that outside the
EU to protect itself.

Lets save these loud ASF statement/actions things for issues which
_directly_ affect the ASF work.

Dw