--On Thursday, August 26, 2004 3:37 PM +1000 Ian Holsman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

mirror.au.apache.org or something which just does a round robin on available
mirrors in the 'au' region.. that the downloader only sees
a 'apache' domain. but this would should be a 'global' change.. not just
for the mirrors some people don't like.

IMHO, DNS-based round-robin makes it harder to provide the ability to route around broken mirrors for three reasons:

1) harder to insert/remove them dynamically: mirrors.cgi can use our freshness metrics gathered by mirmon to only show mirrors that have updated since a particular time (we want this for sec releases)

2) we'd have to update DNS on every status change: mirrors go stale and we take them out of active list and insert them when the problem is fixed (this is automated right now by mirmon)

3) doesn't allow the user to avoid a mirror that is broken (but we haven't noticed yet); additionally, it provides the user the ability to select a mirror that they know is close to them or have a particularly good connection to.

My $.02.  -- justin