El jue, 20-01-2005 a las 21:58 -0800, Justin Mason escribiÃ:

> Niclas Hedhman writes:
> > On Friday 21 January 2005 01:21, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/55366
> >
> > Why so many Farming and Fishing Ministers? What do they know of
> > implications
> > in the software industrt?
>
> that's pretty much the point ;)
>
> I think the idea is that under EU regulations, the (bad) amendment has
> reached a point whereby it can be adopted as an "A item", rolled into a
> single point on an agenda with the other legislation waiting to be adopted
> - -- unless someone present dissents to that adoption, as Poland did in
> December.  (Thanks Poland!)
>
> in other words "A items" are rubber-stamping laws that are in the
> queue for adoption.
>
> The actual "A items" are not listed, and it would take a pretty aware
> national fisheries representative to know what's going on, and those
> guys probably don't care too much what the software industry in their
> countries think (or that's probably the idea).

And I feel that a Global Patent War is about to happen, as soon as the
implied lobbies slip Europe into accepting software patents. The recent
Kodak-Sun and Sun-Microsoft settlements herald the situation, as well as
the Eolas and other smaller cases.

The proposal of IBM, is in my PERSONAL opinion creating a de-militarized
zone to avoid getting dragged into this war. I hope that Europe is
clever enough to avoid signing them, adding more incentive for wolves to
keep quiet.

Regards
Santiago
--