I've not seen any studies. I have a slightly different view as
developing is only part of what I do nowadays... so I'll share it/bore
you with it :)

The source isn't the only part, Open applies to a lot more in your
standard OSS project:

* I like that I can identify solutions and bugs through a web search
and not by having to contact technical support.
* I like that my choice of the product doesn't start with a contract
negotiation - OSS is generally take-it-or-leave-it licensing, yet not
an unfair license.
* I like that the 'vendor' and myself as the 'customer' largely want
the same thing - for the product to be better, with less bugs and more
features.

Summarizing - In Open Source the relationship is not antagonistic.
It's not perfect, the project don't want to add my special ideas or
agree that with my view of a bug, but generally I know the vendor and
I aren't in a battle with the vendor wanting more money and myself
wanting more value. There's less politics.

Hen