Note that you should be somewhat cautious when people ask for formal documentation. However replying to an email with a pointer to our committer webpages (or any other publicly available, factual information) is always fine to do.

So yes, if the person is a committer, it's fine to let the requester know that, and you can factually state your relationship to the project (I.e. VP/chair or PMC member). But we generally don't write "recommendation" letters for individuals when wearing PMC or Chair hats. You're obviously free to write that kind of thing as an individual from your personal email address, if you want to.

Sometimes simply saying "yes, they're a committer, and this webpage is the ASF's official listing of committers" is good; that makes it explicit to the outsider that our apache.org web pages are definitive.

- Shane