I think that's the wrong question. We're (mostly) a bunch of programmers
and know sod all about governance (much as each/most of us will happily
expound on what we think we know :) ).

I imagine however that many of us would happily offer up some time to hear
about the problems that government faces being efficient and share
anecdotes and history from our communities that may have useful analogies
within the problems being faced by government.

For example - I was at a conference where a government group were
considering how they could best open source their legacy system and get
'the community' (quotes mine) to help with a rewrite. The press, media and
our own self-marketing has convinced people that there are magic community
elves waiting to do whatever work might come their way. I made the point
that they had to start by identifying the community being talked about; and
that that community should be the ones who feel the pain of an inadequate
product and want to scratch it (shallow example in the interest of brevity
:) ).

Hen