Hi,

As a lurker. You probably already know this but just a word of advice,

In regards to the FPGA board, you will probably be after the ICE40, as AFAIK, it is the only one with an open source toolchain (that is, if it meets your requirements).

Josh

P.S.

I would be also be interested to know the feasibility of a semi-complete open hardware/software cellular modem/sdr could be built out out of this (or this sort of) FPGA. I know there is open source verilog code for an generic FM receiver out there, and am aware that all-digital phase locked loops and pulse width modulation can work in silicon (with a few issues). I also realize that some companies are already selling similar (lime micro) albeit with a closed toolchain and HDL code ... so perhaps. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯