On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 7:59, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
On 12/1/06 11:28 PM, "Gabriel Ambuehl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Why not just copy the sim card into the phone? We use Linux, so we can do
 whatever we like

 I'm not sure, but doesn't the GSM module want to talk to the SIM card
 directly?

The SIM card initialization details are handled by the closed system. The
open processor (2410) can only talk over AT commands.

-Sean

That only means you can't do it without some modification of the motherboard and module. I was planning on building my own linux based phone from components before I found this project. Assembled from modules, it would not be hard, just the sofware side would take time... Right..? So I also thought about this multi-sim thing and I concluded that the protocal for talking to a sim is available.. Indeed, you can build something to copy the sim to your laptop if you wanted... So I thought of making a virtual sim software which would store and allow switching between multiple copies of sims...

Then you wire the sim interface from the gsm module to gpio on the processor and write the necessary driver to make it look like a sim.

The technical aspect isn't really that hard.  Just time consuming.
--Tim