On 1/17/07, Renaissance Man <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The reason is neither of them have VoIP via WiFi.

Who do I talk to ask them to include WiFi connectivity with the
OpenMoko? I'll sell my body parts to get hold of such a device.

Why does no organisation (even Apple) seem to get it that the mobile
communications revolution is through VoIP via WiFi. This is the
killer app.

I disagree - VoIP via WiFi is an obvious evolution rather than
revolutionary. I don't think it's a 'killer app' either - in the terms
of the phone manufacturer who is more likely to benefit from getting
6-12months lead and market share in an unexploited but growing market
(Open Source Mobile Phones).

I think that market is going to be revolutionary, and we'll see the
innovation occur upon the Neo1973 first simply because it's going to
be the first of these new toys to play with.

Look at the way that Linux patches come out faster and more
efficiently than Windows patches do - this market situation will
become increasingly bleak for the existing large phone manufacturers
as their old business model won't be able to create and distribute new
features or applications or games as quickly to their proprietary
handsets.

Think about how many geeks ever wanted to own and program their own
Tricorder ;-)

Wifi is going to be great, but the revolution will have already
started upon an Open Source foundation by the time it comes.

Richard