Hello all,

This doesn't have to be a feature restricted to kids. I routinely go over
what is alloted by my current phone plan. And the carrier I am with isn't
very forgiving. The bills pile up rapidly.

Being able to define usage restrictions could be very useful as one could
setup the profile based on the plan they have. The profile can then be used
in two ways. The first being the an absolute restrictions mode where the
usage rules can not be broken by the user, and the second (let's call it
costly mode) where the user is reminded that they are additional usage will
incur extra costs from their carrier etc.

Such a mode could also go into effect as soon as the user/phone is in
roaming mode.

-Gervais

That is brilliant. As the parent of an 11-year old, I'd want a highly
configurable profile:

* Allow calls to/from (parents/grandparents/babysitter/etc.) anytime
* Allow calls to/from (list of friends) between 4pm and 9pm weekdays,
10-10pm
   weekends only
* Allow a maximum of (x) outgoing calls to friends per month
* as above for incoming
* as above for text messages

Of course good parenting encourages us to build better trust with our
children
rather than depending on technology to solve our parenting problems but
that's
another discussion..

Perhaps consider this "technology-assisted good parenting".

Cool idea!

Michael

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Paul Jimenez wrote:

> How about a locked-down 'kid version' of the UI with touchable pictures
for 'mommy', 'daddy', etc ?  Maybe not even labelled, but just the pictures?