Well,
you could try to compare the participation of some OSS developer related events (e.g. FOSDEM) to MS Developer Conference(s) or Apple WWDC. Then you need the total number of (software) developers worldwide and a simple multiplication would give the result...

But this share is probably not quite reliable, since MS & Apple developers have to pay for but also can do so, so you count commercial developers who can afford travel expenses at a different level.

A different approach could be the total market share of MS Windows vs. Linux which is repoeted regularly by Gartner, IDC and others. I think I remember approx. 80 to 20 for Desktops+Servers. And assume that for large projects the number of users is the same split of the cake as for developers. But if you want to include Embedded, the picture is quite different. Would you e.g. count Symbian as FOSS?

So, you need a clear definition in advance what you really want to count.

And finally, FSF might have figures to share.

Nikolaus Schaller