Casey Harkins wrote:
Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
On 7/17/07, Giles Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We need a good use for GPS, I want something like Tomtom but this

Possible uses: can be combined with Google Maps or something like that
to give other people an idea of the "travel route" you have followed.

I plan on implementing something along these lines (without the POI portion). My goal is to have a daemon running which records routes constantly and periodically reports them to a server over GPRS (probably gpg'ed first). When the route is reported to the server, the server can respond with a command to adjust the reporting period.

The primary use is just to keep a record of everywhere I've gone with the phone (reported once a day). Second, if my phone happened to get lost or stolen, I flip a switch on the server and the phone would report its position hourly or even more frequently. Even if the SIM card was swapped out, as long as GPRS is still accessible, the phone should still report its position. Unless the person in possession of my lost phone finds this mailing list post, it should help me get my phone back. :-)

-casey