On 7/24/07, Shawn Rutledge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yes I agree with all your points.

I suspect the Apple patents are on the interaction techniques, and
possibly on some specific hardware.  Obviously multi-touch existed a
few years ago (FingerWorks was around, and I think the FTIR method was
invented even earlier).  We will see how the lawsuits turn out, which
patents Apple can defend and which they cannot.  (Lawsuits would seem
to be inevitable given the flurry of activity which the iPhone has
provoked.)

Multitouch screens are around so much time that apple can have patents just
on their specific implementation.

However some of the interactions which only involve one finger on the
iPhone, should still be possible with a conventional touchscreen (for
example, "flicking" to scroll a page).

That's correct.

A physically larger screen would be nice to read, and I personally
would put up with the larger overall size (especially if it makes up
for it by being thinner); but people have their stereotypes about how
big a phone is "too big," and something larger than the iPhone will
not sell as well.

A good idea would be to use the so-much-talked-about-but-never-used
e-paper: simply a small e-paper attached to the back of the phone, which can
be rolled out to have a bigger screen. Some sort of medieval-pergament-sort
of look. Wold be great IMO. The normal phone for normal applications, the
e-paper for browsing, reading, whathing movies, etc.

(If people could just get away from holding the
whole thing up to their ears like a brick, it would help.  Maybe use a
bluetooth headset?  but I don't use one myself either.)

Headsets aren't always well-seen by people, so I would force them to use
them.

--
My corner of the web: http://ramsesoriginal.wordpress.com
My dream, my world: http://abenu.wordpress.com