On Thu, July 26, 2007 4:23 pm, Tim Newsom wrote:
> I just noticed this:
>
> They claim to have many of the features we have talked about on the
> list...
> however, I am wondering about the "pending patent" related to placing
> security in the bootloader for signature checking of a boot image.  Does
> anyone know if this is available GPL or if they have somehow managed to
> get
> around all of that?

I doubt they can get a patent on on bootloader signature checking. Nokia
have had that feature on their phones for a few years now. That is why
they are so hard to unlock compared with other brands.

Also, GPL3 forbids that kind of thing unless you give the end user a way
to sign their own boot images. In a year or two it will be quite hard to
build a Linux phone that does not include any GPL3 software, so this will
not be useful in preventing unauthorized firmware. (Though it will still
be helpful for virus protection and the like).

--
David Pottage

Error compiling committee.c To many arguments to function.