Mark Eichin wrote:
and I am able to make outgoing calls successfully.  Even got the audio
working after some fuss ;)

What fuss in particular?  I can play audio with madplay, but have yet
to get phone calls to use the speaker (the dialer connects and picks
up fine...)
Right before you dial a call, try

alsactl -f /etc/alsa/gsmhandset.state restore

Then fire up alsamixer and adjust Amp Left and Amp Right to suit your needs.

Also, this should work with the headset plugged in, and using gsmheadset.state as well, and then you can use stereoout.state to put it back to stereo output.

So, in short, that works for me. However, I can't seem to make the gsm system function reliably. Seems it can only handle 1 call before a full reboot is needed, unless gsm and x are restarted, and even then that only works on occasion. Otherwise the modem just appears to hang, and restarting gsmd, and attempting to re-register makes no effect.