Joshua Layne wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Jens Fursund wrote:

On 9/9/07, *Giles Jones* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Nothing wrong with the hardware, there's just no open source GPS
    driver yet.

I´m confused: Does this mean that the GTA02 will include GPS-hardware but not software because of not having an open source firmware?

No - the hardware and binary module is available for GTA01, and for GTA02 if the choice is made to release GTA02 with the same chipset.

The module is at the moment delayed, but will be along real soon now.

While I understand the desire to have a fully open-source module (and have read the large amount of discussion around this), I have used familiar linux with a bluetooth GPS spitting out NMEA and gpsd for several years now (primarily with roadmap (http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net)). For 95%+ of all uses, the gpsd interface will be fine - whether the module is binary or OSS.

There is perhaps a significant philosophical difference between the two, but I think the functionality will be fine either way. And regardless of which is chosen, an added benefit of using gpsd is that it allows multiple subsystems to use location data, as they can all listen to the stream.

my $0.01
j.

I'd like to pretty much retract the above (typed before brain had engaged and was educated) based on two things: 1) I had forgotten (because I am not that much of a linux hacker really) about binary incompatibilities with newer kernels (often - doesn't always happen when the driver is firmly in userland) -- this appears to be a real problem based on a message I saw this morning between gllin (sp?) and 2.6

2) I had no idea how much you could munge the signal data (in a good way) before location was computed. After reading a few articles on the wiki that detail this (WAAS, ionospheric conditions, etc...) - I realize that my position was wrong.

sorry to drag the list through my thought process, but I look forward to the open-source GPS driver.

best rgds,
j.