At a recent conference the hosts gave away a free iPhone to its
attendees but they were annoyed that they couldn't buy them in bulk
and other things, long story short for the next conference they have
proposed designing and building a completely open Internet tablet.

I would dearly love being able to buy GTA02's in bulk - say 20 at a time, personally.

One of the designs uses the neo1973 and openmoko as its base
http://itredux.com/blog/2007/09/17/openmoko/

Might want to check out the GP2X as well:

http://www.gp2x.de/cms/index.php
http://gbax.com/

With their money and FIC/the openmoko community's experience we could
do for Internet tablets what we're doing for phones.

.. and then, please, lets do it for synthesizers too.

;
--
Jay Vaughan