Yes, AT&T uses both 850 and either 1800 or 1900 (I forget which at the moment, maybe 1900 and TMobile uses 1800, or vice versa?).

In my last apartment, where there were a lot of buildings very close together, lots of concrete, etc., my usual AT&T phone (Blackjack 2) would only connect on the lower frequency and display the EDGE logo all the time, and the phone would often cause other electronics with speakers to buzz horrendously -- haven't had that problem in the new place where my Blackjack 2 displays that it's connected to 3G all the time instead of EDGE.

But I was able to consistently test that, within my old apartment, the Neo would only connect on TMobile when I was indoors, and would only connect on AT&T if I was out in the open outside in the courtyard where, I guess, the higher frequency network could get through. I was never able to connect to AT&T indoors at the old place.

Once I get a Freerunner, I'll go visit a friend at the old apartment complex, and test that the 850MHz mode on the Freerunner can connect on the lower frequency.

-id

Travis Tabbal wrote:
I found some coverage maps on gsmworld.com <http://gsmworld.com>. I don't know how accurate they are, none of my current phones tell you what band they are using. AT&T has a mish-mash of both all over the place from what I could tell.