ramsesoriginal wrote:
I think this would be great..
Ideally it would not decode it completely, but simply encode the video
with some simpler compression...

Another question: if we skip sound, would the decoding be faster? By how much?

As a datapoint, most VCD class mpegs/avis I had around played just fine.
(150kilobytes/second, 320*240 or so).
Yes, they framedropped a bit, and ended up around 15-18fps.

Without audio, it's much smoother, as audio decoding - in the mp3 case - used about 25% CPU.

If the GTA01 would do rotation in hardware, then dropping to QVGA mode would be completely adequate.
Of course, it can't - but this gives some idea.