Michael Shiloh wrote:
I've just posted about the software update that has been discussed here today, so I figured I'd take this opportunity to tell you all about my blog:

Cool!

Here is another FAQ entry (with a few holes to be filled in):

Q) How do I preserve my Contacts, Calendar etc information when re-flashing to a later snapshot?

A) Bearing in mind that this is early-access software, we do not recommend that you store large volumes of valuable contact or calendar information in your phone. However, some people have used the following procedures for their most immediate contacts.

If you're using a pre-ASU snapshot, all such files are stored in ~/.evolution (/home/root/.evolution), and are in "Evolution Database Format"; you could in theory copy this information to your desktop and access it via Evolution or EDS (or vice versa).

If you're using ASU, this information is stored [WHERE???], and is stored in a QTopia-specific format.

Copy the appropriated directories someplace safe BEFORE re-flashing the phone. Either scp -r them from the phone to your desktop, or, cp -r them to the micro-SD card (assuming you put the card in and that it still has space): cp -r [directories listed above] /media/card/.

Then re-flash the phone, and copy the files back.

Note: the format of these files is subject to change.

Or, [THIS IS UNTESTED] download the QTopia Desktop and synchronize your phone with your desktop. The download site is http://trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qtopia/desktopdownloads/ for common platforms; for unsupported platforms, you could maybe get the "QTopia Open Source Download" and extract and build the QTopia Desktop from that.

If anybody knows the location of the files that QT contacts uses, or has actually tried the QTopia Desktop with the new ASU image, please pipe in! (Please don't guess, because you might cause somebody to waste a lot of time, or lose data :-))

Thanks

Ian Darwin