I think what Ian is trying to say is that contract or not, you still have to
pay for your phone service and data service.  So if you spend US$50/mo on a
data plan, it does come out to be more expensive with the FreeRunner if and
*only if* you plan to use the phone for two years.  if you plan on ditching
it in a year, then the FreeRunner is much cheaper (you have that contract
buy out fee).

Thankfully, I have a pay as go SIM card that allows me to use GPRS.  I pay
about 10 Euros (US$15) a month with my current total usage (voice and
data).  Somehow I see that going way up when I get the FreeRunner just with
the data I'll be using.  I pay roughly 4 Euro Cents per 10kb.  In this case,
the iPhone is way more expensive than an iPhone.