On Thursday 26 June 2008, Brian C wrote:
> BrendaWang wrote:
> > Here is the getting start guide from wiki.
> >
> > http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_your_Neo_FreeRunner
>
> In the Flashing the Freerunner section it says, "You can use the USB
> cable and Openmoko provided tool to flash Neo FreeRunner."
>
> I'm curious about the use of the word "can".  Is it possible to flash
> the Freerunner from the device itself, without using the USB cable
> connected to another GNU/Linux host?
>
> I suspect it's not, and that this section could clarify this by saying,
>
> "To flash the Freerunner you must connect it via a USB cable to a host
> that can run the Openmoko-provided flashing tool."
>
> (And then I think it might also be true that the flashing tool is
> currently only available for GNU/Linux.  Is that right?)

The bootloader implements an open standard for Device Firmware Upgrade. The
supplied dfu-util implements the host end of the standard on linux, but in
principle any compliant host end could be used. There is a version available
for the Mac too.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_DFU
http://www.dsitri.de/wiki.php?page=OpenMoko%20Flasher

You can also flash the freerunner using the debug board. If you want to flash
the uBoot in NOR this is the only way to do it.