Maybe I should add that the binary Om 2008.8 release is for GTA02 only
right now.
For GTA01, we have no big plan yet but we will look at it next. The
biggest problem that stops us is that we are extremely low on GTA01
phones :-)
I am only aware of 1 (ONE) functioning GTA01 in the Taipei office. A
bit hard to do development and testing that way.
Next week we will look at the Om 2008.8 on GTA01 situation:

1. how many people want this?
2. does anyone in the community step up and compile the distribution
for GTA01? (there will be some work: size reduction, GPS chip, etc)
3. can we support or do that from Taipei, do we find enough working
GTA01?
4. how much work is it and how fast can we do it?

Also, the files on http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/ are a bit
confusing.
There are 4 files there, but actually only 2. The other 2 are
symlinks. The symlinks have no 'gta02' in the name giving you the
impression it could be for GTA01 - but it isn't :-)
So there are only 2 files, and they only work for GTA02:

kernel:
http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.8/Om2008.8-gta02-20080808.uImage.bin
rootfs:
http://downloads.openmoko.org/releases/Om2008.8/Om2008.8-gta02-20080808.rootfs.jffs2

Finally, don't ask me where an updated u-boot is. I think we will add
it shortly.
Best Regards,
Wolfgang