Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> and luckily those smart fellas in kernel developer land.. made
> kernel overcommit.. a tunable parameter! and... cunningly.. on the
> FR (and as wel on my desktop) it's turned off! :) so... a moot point
> really. :)

I was more thinking of applications filling up RAM and then things
will have to be paged out if you don't want things to crash/get
killed. Something is definitely wrong if you're actually using the
swap area on this device, but things like this are observable with
vmstat. Unfortunately, you can't plug in more memory when you see that
your need exceeds the capacity of the device;).

A 128Mio space of memory is not that huge, especially if you want to
use it for something cool and you will at some points pass this mark
and things will die; given the current algorithm it might not be
something you want to get killed.

--
Esben Stien is [EMAIL PROTECTED]     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m