Michael Shiloh wrote:
>> My old phone works as a daily phone. I bought the FR for what I did not
>> have - misery.

Sorry everyone, I found that comment amusing and was going to respond in
some clever way, then changed my mind, and unfortunately sent the
partially composed message.

To paraphrase the original poster, we buy the FR for what we don't have
- a generic Linux computer in a cellphone, on which we can develop all
manner of applications in any language we chose, without the constraints
of the carrier or the cellphone provider

I appreciate that many of you purchased the FR to use as your daily
phone. But I really believe that the magic of Openmoko comes from what
we do with this platform that is different from, and way beyond, a mere
phone.

That is why the discussion about extending the FR with external sensors
interested me so much.

So what other ideas do you all have of ways to extend the utility of the
  FreeRunner? In what ways can you make it "more than a cellphone"? (and
I don't limit this to physical extensions.)

How can we all rise above the current issues with GSM, SMS, etc. and
create the device of the future?

My plan:
I am going to take the ideas gathered in the discussion about reporting
the tides (when they drifted (pun intended) into case modifications and
external sensors) and build an extended FreeRunner. I plan to use a
Pelican case and either an Arduino, EZ-USB, or MAKE Controller Kit to
interface to external sensors and perhaps also actuators, like hobby
servo motors.

What is it going to be? I'm not sure yet. But I'm sure ideas will come.

Michael