I have gotten a fix in the past with 2007.2 and no uSD card inserted. This was possible with both tangogps and openmoko-gps-ui.

I do have the latest 2008.9 kernel and rootfs. I have tried both with and without a uSD and have been unable to obtain a fix. I'll try getting a fix with the openmoko-gps-ui sometime this week, but Locations is unable to do so.

Matthew Lane