Hi,

Thank you very much for your input. Can you try to run a bit of the
'test' I include? I'm starting to suspect different accelerometers might
give different outputs and so the heuristics might not make sense
anymore, I hope that's not the case.

You can return the brightenss with

echo 63 > /sys/class/backlight/pcf50633-bl/brightness

... in the meanwhile.

As for terminating... only a few signals can be caught, I will try to
set them up in order to stop in a sane state (xrandr -o 0, full
brightness if it's currently 0, and so on).

Rui

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:48:24AM +0530, Vikas Saurabh wrote:
> This seems pretty stable than the previous one. The brightness effect is
> nice, but the event, apparently, is hitting even if the phone is moved a
> little (i was trying to type a message).
> The brightness thing started to feel too much pain, so I killed the rotate
> instance (from a separated ssh session). Unfortunately, the program had
> thought that I am rotating and hence had brightness set to 0 when I killed
> it. So, I was left with a switched off screen :).
>
> So, 2 cents from my side
> (1) The brightness effect (and rotation) should be applied only we are
> switching orientation (I am not too sure if accels would give that data
> directly....but keeping a state can be a workaround...it would give some
> false positives and negative, but would have a better output)
> (2) We might like to put a close program handler which would try to reset
> the brightness to the last read brightness value (if the rotation was in
> progress while the program was closed)
>
> --Vikas
>
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]>wrote:

> > ("/sys/class/backlight/pcf50633-bl/brightness","w");
> > >
> > > Excellent idea, I'll implement it in my newRotate and make a new
> > > release.
> > >
> > > BTW, I still can't commit...
> > >
> > > https://admin-trac.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1563
> >
> > OK, new newrotate version, taking usage of brightness to use less energy
> > and a nicer rotation.
> >
> > http://blog.1407.org/2008/10/14/openmoko-newrotate-checks-brightness/
> >
> > Rui

You are what you see.
Today is Boomtime, the 68th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?