On Wednesday 28 January 2009, TL Mieszkowski wrote:
> KaZeR wrote:
> > First example on top of my head : you are listening to music via your
> > headset, and you unplug it : if in a public place, it might be convenient
> > pause media player to avoid bothering your neighboors. My other phone
> > behaves like that and i find it convenient and respectful for the other
> > people.
>
> I'm nobody, but that is so contrived it comes no where near convincing me
> that such a non-UNIXy system is the right way.

Contrived? It's an example of good behaviour by an existing phone, so it's a
real world example.

Several people have asked about unusual audio routing configurations for
specific applications. If another app changes the mixer settings then these
apps will not work correctly, so it would be beneficial for them to handle
this gracefully. To do this they need notification of the change in mixer
setting.

Changing the entire mixer scenario strikes me as being too coarse a control,
but I haven't heard of any better proposals for abstraction.