On 23/04/2009, at 4:00 AM, Franky Van Liedekerke wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in qtextended, there are different kind of media engines:
>
> - helix
> - cruxus
> - gstreamer
>
> cruxus is the default, and using the libmad patch, it can play mp3's
> But what's the advantage of gstreamer support? If I compile it in, has
> it priority over cruxus if gstreamer libs are on the device?

depends on how it is ordered in the .pri/o file, first one in the list
gets priority.

> And if gstreamer is installed, can I then just play mp3's (using the
> correct codecs) without the libmad patch?

Yes, if you have the correct gstreamer plugin(s) installed.
There are some performance problems with gstreamer though...
mp3 should be ok.

> I don't think helix is of any use anymore ...

It is, but the public source has not been updated, and no one can
distribute it without a license besides.
:)