Adam Jimerson wrote:
> Has anyone noticed with the 05/02/2009 release of SHR-Testing that the
> battery
> meter is not reading correctly?  While taking a hike and doing some OSM
> tracking I received a Low battery warning, thinking it was real I put an
> early
> stop to it so I could get it charging before the battery dies but a minute
> after I received that warning the battery life jumped back up to 92% and it
> was saying I had over 4 hours left.  Has this happened to anyone before, and
> if so is it fixed in Unstable or does it need reported?

There has always been trouble with battery readings.

Illume has a battery warning of its own, which hangs around for a long
time. I have often found that warning combined with an ok battery
reading. Illume read the battery at a bad moment, and put up its
annoying little box.

Any battery-reading gadget will see the same problem, but it is not as
noticeable without a dialog box.

the place to fix this is probably the kernel driver that reports these
oddities. There could be an error there. Or perhaps the hardware is
flaky and occationally misreports status. In that case, the kernel
driver should reject an abrubt drop in voltage unless it persists. I.e.
report the "last good" value for a while until it can be sure that a
drop isn't just a fluke.

Helge Hafting