On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 08:37 +0300, Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:05 AM, mqy <meng.qing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Although there is a thread about omgps, I think I'd list the important
> > things
> > here.
> > Those who have installed previous version(s) are recommend to do a update.
> >
> > download url:
> > http://omgps.googlecode.com/files/omgps_0.1_armv4t-20090527-1.ipk
> >
> > Important updates since first release on 2009-05-21:
>
> Wow, nice! Keep up the good work!
>
> BTw about the autocenter feature: could it update the position a bit
> earlier than when hitting the edge, let's say when there's 1/3 of the
> screen left before hitting the edge? Just to allow you to see more in
> the direction you're going to.
>
> THanks!

I would like to add my request for this as well - at the moment its not
usable when driving/or riding a bike as you cant see whats coming.  Even
better than the 1/3, would be to offset the cursor so that 2/3 (or more)
of the screen is "ahead", and only a small amount is behind (none of the
FR gps apps I have tried do this - but TV adds for Nokias and the like
seem to show it as standard on those devices - very few people
riding/driving or usually even when walking are interested in where they
have been - its where they are going thats important.  Sliding the map
under the cursor is a much better idea than redrawing the screen when
you get to the edge when moving for this reason.

Even when walking, the current update method means you are always
manually centring so it never gets to the edge ... so any power savings
via reduced cpu are illusory as the user is always interacting with it
anyway.  And thats something best not done when driving/riding :)

There may be scope here for a mode setting in the config - walk, drive
etc - the antaris GPS chip does have settable parameters for these
modes.

BillK