2009/6/23 Brian C <bria...@ocf.berkeley.edu>

> I can buy a $20 pay-as-you go phone that has reliable SMS and voice
> calls, audible call volume, decent battery life, a fast boot process,
> reliable input method, a working calendar, and a few silly games.  This
> made me believe that the software side of things was relatively easy.
> ("If that cheapo phone can do it, the Freerunner developers will have
> these kinks worked out in no time" I thought.)  Maybe, as Joerg
> acknowledges too, all these little things ARE working on some distro or
> other or can be fixed by someone willing to tweak it "for three months"
> but in all this time I haven't been able to just flash the thing and get
> everything to work as reliably as my $20 junk phone.  This has surprised
> me.

When I bought my FR (around november), QtExtended worked as you describe. It
had everything that a phone needs. I think it was pretty reliable too,
except the duplicating sms bug. But that's not a big deal I think.

I didn't use it a lot just because you couldn't hack it as much as Om or
SHR. But the wiki said: if you want a reliable phone, and just a phone, use
QtExtended.