Exactly,
   As I've said before people do a dis service to values of openess by these
point comparisons
   between iPhone and everything else. But if that comparison must be made
then
   let the first bullet point be this: Open versus Closed. That said if the
goal is to create
   an iPhone clone with Linux on board then I see these paths:

   1. Convince Apple that Copyleft is the way to go for hardware and
software.  Good chance
       there. NANNY APPLE won't even let you put adult content on your
phone. I spent the day
       two days ago with a really cool company that signed all apple
agreements, developed some
       VERY COOL hardware to attach to the phone and Apple shut them down
COLD.. after
       they originally told the company that they could develop the
hardware. Why? the hardware
       would fuck with apple's roadmap. thank you Nanny Apple.

   2. Build a Copyleft version of the Iphone from scratch. pass me
400Million and I'll get right
       on it! But you can't just build the iPhone, you have to build what
apple will ship 18 months
       from now to be competitive.

   3. Do an Anti vendor port. I support mickey 100% in his anti vendor
ports. This is one way
       to get open software on closed platforms. HOWEVER, by the time the
port is done
       the hardware is obsolete ( by iPhone standards) and more importantly,
the hardware
       hackers are left out. That said I think Mickey's approach is one that
people should support
       with their time and effort. It will bear fruit over time.

   4. Take an existing design ( like NanoNote) and over time add capability
to it. Start small
       and simple. Open the design from the start. Allow the hardware
community to mod
       the hardware ( and copy back design improvements) and give the
software community
       a stable but evolving platform to develop on.

So.  #1. I didn't want to waste my time trying to talk apple into destroying
their business.
       #2. I didnt have 400 Million dollars.
       #3. Mickey is going down his path. That's one front in the war. Put
your efforts behind him.
       #4. I can start down the long long path of planting a seed and
helping it grow.

The beginning of that Journey ( #4) happens to be a cool little linux in my
pocket. We've been
contacted by people who want to turn it into a "twitter client" or jabber
client. Will we do that?
I'm not sure. But since the hardware will be copyleft, if SOMEBODY wants to
take the design
and optimize it for SMS or email, then  1.) the community will have another
device with Linux
on it. 2) they won't be able to charge outrageous prices.  3 They'll have to
copy back the design
improvements.  When they copy back designs then one can hope for network
effects and the
long journey gets some momentum.

Many are missing the importance and the critical difference that Copyleft
hardware brings.
If you don't like the fact that nanonote  doesnt have a touch screen then,
take the design files
add a touch screen, copy back the design. If you have money, then get that
design built and
sell it. Qi-hardware won't complain. Why? because the community will have
more choice about
what to buy. If somebody, for example, really really thinks that clamshell
sucks, then there is
a ready solution. take our design, modify and improve it, copy back the
improvements, build
the thing and let the market decide.

In short, I think the only effective way I have of competing on the hardware
side is by
applying the principles of  Copyleft.