On Tuesday 25 August 2009 21:01:52 Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I know this has been asked before but since it's not clear for
> everyone who'd like to know it, I ask it once again. If the answers
> make sense, the info could possibly be added to openmoko wiki on one
> single page to cover all distros.
>
> Let's suppose I've an idea to write the Most Coolest app (app launcher
> that is controlled by rolling a small metal ball to holes) that I
> think might interest the users of distributions.
>
> -1) What's your distro?
>
> 0) How do I set up an development environment to write this app for
> your distribution?
>
> So now that I've written the app, let's suppose your Distribution has
> people packaging apps for the distro.
>
> 1) Who/how do I inform you that there's this nice app you absolutely
> want in your distribution.
>
> Ok, since you might not have people doing the packaging my friend
> might volunteer to do it.
>
> 2) What's the process to create packages (or .bb recipes or whatever
> needed) to submit it to your distribution?
>
> 3) How/who do I inform about new releases?
>
> Links to existing instructions are welcome. AFAIK these things are not
> clear and are really stopping people from developing apps - I've heard
> someone fighting for days to set up the devel environment because of
> the lack of instructions how to do it.
>
> I'm partly interested in this because of the new application showroom
> that we're working on to replace opkg.org. The main difference is that
> it understand the terms 'distribution' - and uses the repositories of
> the distribution. People wanting to release their app need to be able
> to release their app in the official repositories but with the lack of
> instructions it just doesnt' happen.
>

> Thanks!

+1 and thank you.

I`ve been through the development pages on the wiki a couple of times, and its
still not entirely clear to me how everything fits together.

I downloaded the toolchain listed on http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Toolchain
and im trying to get a simple python hello world "built" and packaged using
bitbake. Im trying bitbake instead of manually running om-make-ipkg since I
gather having a .bb file is the way to go.

However its not clear to me how I would get an *.pkg from bitbake. Just
running bitbake with the .bb file does not seem to work.

Any clarification on this issue would greatly be appreciated.

Regards, Adolph