2009/8/29 Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyri...@gmail.com>:
> Unfortunately it was found out installing Debian via the install.sh
> script is broken until dpkg 1.15.4 lands in unstable.

1.15.4 ARM build has now landed in the Debian archive (at least
ftp.debian.org, mirrors soon follow, check
ftp://ftp.XX.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/dpkg/ for armel 1.15.4
deb). Additionally install.sh was earlier updated to offer optional
debootsrap-instead-of-cdebootstrap option.

For this and future updates on the status of installing Debian, until
proper debian-installer support is there, please see the page /
section:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner#CurrentStatusofInstallation

I (at least) will try to keep that up-to-date. Currently the chances
of getting Debian installed with install.sh sound quite high, but I
haven't tested it myself right now. Please tell your experiences if
you try the installation with the tips on that page... meanwhile, I
will also update the page myself if I test it with an extra SD card
again some time next week.

I'm quite glad with the new E17 and Zhone packages in the main Debian
archive. The only package you really need from the (still enabled by
default) pkg-fso archive is the kernel, so this is very good progress.
The kernel is of course a hard thing and involves work from all
Openmoko kernel developers who have time to get stuff upstream, but
after that it would be not a big way to proper Debian installer
support - which eventually even leads to a Debian stable release with
official support for FreeRunner.

-Timo