yes, I have been searching for a hackable e-ink device too, I hope
wikireader can be tweeked to the bone as Neo is :), maybe some port of
openinkpot could be fine :).
Sean need details of the insides of the device please :)

David Reyes Samblas Martinez
http://www.tuxbrain.com
Open ultraportable & embedded solutions
Openmoko, Openpandora,  Arduino