On Thursday 29 October 2009 14:35 Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> Thomas Otterbein <th.otterb...@gmx.net> writes:
> > On Wednesday 28 October 2009 22:08:00 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > > http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/172594/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_
> > >e_1_ 3_last
> > >
> > > Wow, just wow!
> > >
> > > It's an interesting device, not for me, but quite interesting.
> > >
> > > What I never expected is such a success.
> > >
> > > Quite a comparison to the Freerunner's success :)
> > >
> > > Congratulations, guys!
> > >
> > > Rui
> >
> > Hmm, a lot of devices made by Palm, some of them already stone old,
> > are the Bestsellers at Amazon? Where is their own Kindle?
>
> The Kindle is listed as a best-seller, but in a different subcategory
> of `electronics'. Actually, it occupies multiple spots in the top-10
> listing in the *overall* `electronics' category, while WikiReader is
> #4 in a much more restricted category. Not to downplay whatever
> success the WikiReader is seeing, though--I got one, myself, and I'm
> very impressed by and happy with it; a few of my technically-minded
> friends have remarked critically, merely on a conceptual basis, but
> those who have actually seen it (especially the `normal people') have
> responded very positively.
I do not doubt the value of the device, though it's of no use for me until I
get a international version (Hungarian, German), for my kids - or even better
a version supporting images, for myself. :-)

However I find it a bit miss-placed between the other "PDAs" as they have very
little in common, beyond the ability to display pages from Wikipedia. And I'm
still under the impression that the other devices are fairly outdated. There
are 8 devices produced by Palm between the first 25. And there is also a
"Siemens Flip Phone" (i doubt it's PDA capabilities). Siemens sold it's mobile
business to BenQ ages ago and even BenQ abandoned it for a couple of years
now.

Again, this is not criticism on the Wikireader but rather questioning the
Amazon Bestseller List as such. However Sean has already mentioned in this
thread that the sales numbers are huge, so a high ranking in whatever list is
most likely appropriate. ;-)

Best Regards
  thomas

--