Am 02.10.2011 um 19:32 schrieb Alex Samorukov:

> On 10/02/2011 06:55 PM, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 04:12 +0200, Rashid wrote:
>>> "You may have heard about the Cellebrite cell phone extraction device
>>> (UFED) in the news lately. It gives law enforcement officials the
>>> ability to access all the information on your cell phone within a few
>>> short minutes."
>>>
>>> http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/04/29/police-device-used-to-steal-your-cell-phone-data-during-traffic/
>>>
>>> Does it work at free runners too? (Well a debug board could probably do
>>> it but hey).
>> I guess no one got one to test...
>>
>> PS: I wonder what's the relation between rooting a phone and that
>> device(does the device need to root the phone to gather certain
>> informations?).
>>
> As one of the ex. libsyncml developer i can add some details. There is no
> "magic" here. When you are connected by cable to the typical phone, you can:
>
> 1) Use syncml to fetch all contacts/notes/calendar events. There is no
> authentication if you are using USB or Serial device.
> 2) OBEX protocol over USB or Serial usually also allows you to fetch a lot of
> information from phone. Including phone book contents, SMS and phone history.
> 3) AT modem on the most cheap phones (again - no password over serial link)
> also adds a lot of "extended" features, e.g. you can work with SMS, tel.
> history, make phone calls, send sms`s (it is very useful for monitoring
> software or gateways) etc. I was using this on
> Siemens/Nokia/Motorolla/Sony-Ericson and other devices. I am not familiar
> with protocol on modern iphones/androids, but i am expecting that they are
> not protected on usb connection as well.

Usually, smartphones do not expose a direct AT command interface since they
are separated into a radio module and a main CPU. Therefore they use the
AT command interface completely internally.

And, you can't easily connect them to a notebook and configure them as a
serial interface and AT compatible modem, since nobody expects this
as the state-of-the-art way of tethering. You do it through Ethernet over
USB or WLAN.

> So in practice its very easy to build such devices (with Linux on board,
> hehe) and you don`t need to work in CIA for this, its could be done as
> homebrew hardware. There is no known way to disable this functionality in
> most of the phones. Locked/unlocked phone will work the same on such
> interfaces.

Any PDA with USB-Host-Mode could do it. You could even connect your old
non-smartphone
to an Openmoko through the USB-Host facility :)

> Now back to OpenMoko. It depends on distro you are using (i am qtmoko user)
> but typically there is nothing but ssh running on USB (USB over Ethernet). If
> you setting up root password - then you are safe. There is no way to extract
> any data without restarting the phone (or by using debug board, what is also
> not possible w/o removing cover). If you are very paranoiac about this - you
> can store all data in encrypted way (using standard Linux tools for this) and
> disable all storage on the SIM card.
>
> The only problem i see in this method is that  Police can get all this
> information without touching your device, by requesting this information from
> your network/roaming provider.

There was an article in IEEE Spectrum last year that describes
the status, background and future of this technology:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/cellphone-crime-solvers (full text)
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5491013 (citation)

It focusses mainly on the benefits for some detective so solve a crime
case.