On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 03:56:57 PM Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Adam Ward <cay...@internode.on.net> writes:
> > I know that Telstra in Australia sends both.
>
> Do you know how it sends that? I have been unable to find any kind of
> specification that describes this. I only find references to timezone
> information.

When my "normal" phone looses the date/time settings, I get prompted for them
with a date/time dialogue.
After a few seconds this dialogue will disappear and the correct date and time
gets populated.
I am trying to replicate this now, but the phone will not loose the date/time.
I know it happened when I changed networks earlier this month.  I went from
Telstra to Optus, and it has happened for me on both networks.
I figure they both implement NITZ in full.

Specification wise, the wikipedia page [1] indicates it is not only timezone
setting information.
I also get a hit on www.etsi.org when searching for "nitz specification" that
references Universal Time [2].  One of the wiki sources indicates the
implementation is optional.

However searching on "nitz universal time specification" gets some
clarification
on the issue: not only is it optional, different manufactures have different
interpretations [3].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NITZ
[2]
http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/122000_122099/122042/08.00.00_60/ts_122042v080000p.pdf