On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 07:48:12 +0100
Al Johnson <openm...@mazikeen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Have you tried the new SIM in any other 2G-only phone? SIMs from 3(UK
> network) seem to work only in 3G-capable devices. I never looked into
> how or why, but it's possible Rogers are doing this with new SIMs
> either by accident or design.
>
> On Wednesday 26 September 2012 21:53:14 Pascal Gosselin wrote:
> > In 2010, we were able to take circa mid-2008 Roger Wireless SIMs
> > (Canada) borrowed from an iPhone 3G and get it to work in Android
> > Froyo on the GTA02 850Mhz.
> >
> > Two years later, we decided to add some GPRS reporting capability
> > to our Wi-Flight product which is currently using Wi-Fi only, we
> > are unable to get a carrier registration at the AT command level
> > using two Rogers SIMs (both from 2012, one used in an iPhone 4 and
> > the other in a Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket (LTE)).  The GSM
> > baseband code was at Moko8 so we had the  fix for bug 666.  We
> > tried Moko11 but it didn't make a difference.
> >
> > We repeated the same Android Froyo setup and indeed it doesn't work
> > when we try the circa 2012 SIMs.
What's your setup exactly?

> > Our product doesn't run on Android, the Froyo stuff was just tried
> > to attempt to replicate something that worked before.
> >
> > I found a working older Rogers full-sized SIM from my GSM-enabled
> > alarm system, which I think it at least 3-4 years old.  It worked
> > just fine in a Nexus S and I was able to send an SMS and Edge data
> > from the phone (it's a T-mobile AWS phone so no 3G on Rogers).
> >
> > The conclusion so far is that something has changed in the Rogers
> > SIMs that makes it incompatible with the GTA02.  I am wondering if
> > anyone else has encountered this problem.  I'd be happy to be able
> > to get a Fido-branded card to work (haven't tried that yet).
> >
> > We've repeated the same issue with a half-dozen GTA02s so we're
> > pretty sure it's not a one-off phone problem.
Maybe you could try to debug it with simtrace(the hardware for
tracing SIM communications, that is compatible with wireshark 1.8)?

However if it's a problem with the modem firmware it would be hard to
fix, one may think that there is osmocombb, but *selling* phones with
osmocombb preinstalled may not be legal in your jurisdiction(I'm not
a lawyer tough...).

In that case I guess you would need to switch to another GNU/Linux
phone(such as a GTA04, or another phone supported by SHR for
instance,but that means that you'll probably have some availability
issues(you'll need to find a reliable way to get such phone in the
long run...)).

Denis.