The GTA02 has a pretty good GPS receiver, and the fact that it can do 4Hz is critical to our application (Flight Data Monitoring).

Has anyone succeeded in being able to get 5Hz position updates from the GTA04 with either the W2SG0004i (SiRFstarIII GPS chip) or the more recent GTA04 with W2SG0084i (SiRFstar IV chip ) ?

The W2SG0004i apparently uses a SIRF GSC3LTf. According to the datasheet that I downloaded, the Max update rate is 1Hz which is terrible. I'd like to know if there are any hacks to get at least 5Hz (not holding my breath...).

The W2SG0084i uses the CSR/SiRF GSD4E.

I did find this regarding the W2SG0008i from http://www.wi2wi.com/products/datasheets/W2SG0008i_Datasheet_Rev1.35.pdf

"3.5 1 Hz updates with future 5Hz updates

The current W2SG008i uses a Sirf Star 4 Signature Series ROM 1.3 which supports 1 Hz updates of the messages from the satellites vehicle solution. In a future release of the internal ROM code version 2.0 and later 5 Hz updates will be supported. Contact a Wi2Wi sales office for future release dates."

Almost a year has gone by.... is this new firmware available for the W2SG0084i ?

-Pascal
Flight Data Monitoring using the GTA 02 (soon GTA 04)
http://www.wi-flight.net/