On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
<h...@goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 08.11.2013 um 23:08 schrieb Michael Parchet:
>
> Hello,
>
> Sorry I found only GTA04A4  but not GTA04A5 with LTE for pre order and
> price.
>
> Why
>

> If you look at the date (22 janvier 2013), a long time has passed. We did
> start for preorders
> back then, but there wasn't enough response. So it was put on hold some
> weeks later.
>
> In the meantime the list cited below is still almost correct, but not
> everything.
>
> Now, we are *thinking* about restarting the project with *maybe* LTE
> (option).

Hi Nikolaus,

glad to hear that, I'd be really happy to see a new device that might
leave the exterior of the Neo's behind for something better.
A long time ago, people were interested in replacing the Calypso with
a Telit modem for future devices; as you might think about a new
platform, I wonder if the Telit modems might be considered, still?

The big difference to the Qualcomms is, that the user documentation is
much better, including a freely available full AT command reference
[2] and more. They have, for example, the new L910 [1] with LTE
support, and as they aren't used by most major phone makers, I'd
assume that they might be more reasonable in delivering smaller,
reasonably priced, batches.
It also includes GNSS (GPS, GLONASS) support (with documented AT
interface), and has VoLTE support (voice over LTE), which makes it
reasonably future-proof.
With an 28.2 * 28.2 * 2.2 mm (LGA 144) package it isn't exactly tiny,
but not that much larger than alternatives I think.
Their modules are all pin-compatible, so the NA and EU variants, as
well as 2G, 3G, 4G variants can be replaced without further changes.

An extra wish would be using a main SoC with ARM Mali graphics, so
free GPU drivers would be realistic (in contrast to all other options
it seems).
I'd certainly be in.

[1]: http://www.telit.com/en/products/lte.php?p_id=421&p_ac=show&p=148
[2]: http://www.telit.com/module/infopool/download.php?id=5819