On Sat 21 December 2013 12:34:49 Ed Kapitein wrote:
> On 12/21/2013 11:58 AM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> > People,
> >
> > I have not used my FreeRunner for ages and probably should donate it
> > someone who can make use of it but a thought occurred to me: It would
> > be good to have something that could act like a SMS server eg I have a
> > demand where if an (urgent) email comes into a particular account,
> > that the contents of the email are able to be resent as an SMS out
> > through a mobile device gateway to a number of phones - could OpenMoko
> > be rejigged to do this somehow?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Phil.
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> I did the same thing, but It is of limited use, a lot of mail is in HTML
> format and hard to convert to SMS.
> Also, you need to strip the headers etc.
> So you might want to write a script first and run it on real-life mails,
> before you put effort in reconfiguring the freerunner.
>
> Just my 0.02BTC
>
> Kind regards,
> Ed

Plain HTML mails are usually forwarded to /dev/null by my spam filter right
away. I haven't recently seen anybody but Jolla sending HTML-only mails
instead of proper multipart/alternative at least.
Also you shouldn't regularly watch mails by rendering their HTML content, this
is a severe privacy and security threat.

/j

(alas the above page got scrapped due to resignation(!!), so here some
supplementary links:)
http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil_still.shtml
http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii/ (German)