Apologies for not replying sooner. Thanks for the replies.

I tried the SIM in another phone and it does work, and another SIM
in this one does not (both the same network).

Quoth Michael Spacefalcon:
> What modem firmware version is this?

Revision is:
GSM: gsm_ac_gp_fd_pu_em_cph_ds_vc_cal35_ri_36_amd8_ts0-Moko11

So Moko11, I guess ;)

> Since the GSM modem is no longer an impenetrable black box, you could
> try debugging the apparently misbehaving modem using standard Free
> Software debugging methods: study the source and the documentation,
> and make use of the modem debug interface accessible via the headset
> jack.
>
> Start by taking QtMoko high-level software out of the equation and
> talking AT commands directly to the modem:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manually_using_GSM
>
> Try the AT commands shown on that wiki page, and tell us the results.
> That right there might spot an issue.

That's a good idea. I'm hitting a snag before I get very far,
though. Namely that I don't know which process is in charge of the
GSM, so which one to kill to stop the phone accessing.

lsof would probably tell me, but I can't install it because it's
tough to get the wifi to work (which I generally don't care about).
Can somebody who knows QtMoko advise which process to kill?  There
is no gsmd, as suggested on the OM wiki.

Thanks,

Nick