Paul Wise <pa...@bonedaddy.net> wrote:

> In 2017, AT&T will be shutting down their GSM network in the USA in
> favour of 3G/4G.

If AT&T likes losing customers, it's their choice.  I use T-Mobile
(satisfied customer since 2003 with just one short break before I
entered the libre phone scene in 2011), and I saw somewhere that
although they are reducing GSM/2G capacity, they will leave a tiny
sliver around.  A tiny sliver is all I need.

> Macau is planning to shut down their GSM services in
> June 2015.

Yeah, I saw that news a while back and crossed Macau off the list of
places I would ever want to live or do business in.

> I would hazard a guess that GSM will be shut down worldwide
> at some point, probably sooner in the USA. So eventually GTA02 and
> Calypo will be less useful for communication as they would need an
> external device or some method of device-to-device communication like
> the Serval Mesh. What is your plan for the transition away from GSM?

The plan is simple: if GSM service in my current neck of the woods
gets shut down, move to some tiny island banana republic where getting
a "spectrum license" to operate my own GSM cell just for my family's
own use would be as simple and inexpensive as befriending/bribing the
local drug czar who is the de facto owner of the island.

VLR,
SF