Thanks for the explanation Andy. But that still leaves the question as to why
ESET AV reported "could not be scanned" while ClamAV reported a 0 meaning clean.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Andy Schmidt" <andy_schm...@hm-software.com>
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2015 11:51am
To: community@mailsbestfriend.com
Subject: [MBF] Re: winmail.dat but Outlook opened it as an Excel spreadsheet
XLSX correctly

Winmail.dat is attached by Outlook when you choose Microsoft's legacy "RICH
TEXT" as the message format, instead of "HTML" (or "Plain Text".)   It predates
SMTP, when there was a pre-Windows 2000 "Microsoft Mail" system for LANs...

If I remember correctly, there is even a setting buried inside the Outlook
"Contacts", where you can specify a "preferred" Email format for individual
contacts. It's possible that (unknown to the user), some of his contacts have
"rich text"... causing the same email to be formatted in different ways,
yielding different results, for different recipients (but I'm vague on that
one).