Hi Martin

As I understand your description, this has absolutely nothing to do with your
outgoing DNS-Requests.

When your CoLo Provider has already Null-routed all traffic to your IP this is
a strong indicator for a distributed DOS attack.
Usually this can be either DNS- or UDP-based.
DNS-based happens when someone has found a noticeable number of third party
recursive DNS-Resolvers. The attacker sends simple and small UDP-based
DNS-requests to this resolvers and use your servers IP as source IP. This is
why it is UDP-based. The involved resolvers will answer with larger responses
than the request was (for example the entire SOA-part of the zone) and send all
bytes to your server.

For UDP-based attacks the attacker needs a larger remotely controlled botnet.
(rentable for a couple of $$)
The Backbone networks of these bots must be managed poorly in order that they
allow outgoing udp floods with randomized ports and source IPs.
In this case your provider will see millions of random source-IPs and -ports
attacking all random ports of your server. This usually can be 0,5 up to 10 or
20 Gigabit/s of traffic. Your provider in order to protect his own network and
other customers will null-route your traffic as long as he see your IP under
attack.

You can google for hardware and cloud-based DDOS prevention solutions and
strategies.

Hope this helps
Markus