Hi Jonas, Nikolaus,

Am 26.10.2017 um 11:11 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> [...]
>>
>> But you shouldn't have to to type configure & make to start the
>> dpkg-buildpackage wrapped by a makefile.
>>
>> The dpkg-buildpackage of course must do a configure & make for the
>> source tree, but hide that from the user.
>>
>> IMHO, something is done here upside down.
>>
>> My initial mistake was to assume that I can directly call
>> dpkg-buildpackage after unpacking the source tree. It turned out that
>> this does not work. At least not without modifications.
> If you expect source to be a Debian source package¹ then I agree it must
> be be buildable by a) simply unpacking it (dpkg-source -x *.dsc), b) cd
> into root of unpacked source tree, and c) build it (dpkg-buildpackage).
>
> But a large project involving embedded (likely multiple interlinked)
> libraries cannot sensibly² be organized as a single(!) Debian source
> package - each library should be a separate source package, built and
> tested and packaged and versioned on its own.
>
> I thought that your labeling it "upside down" meant that you think it
> should be adjusted to be able to compile with a single dpkg-buildpackage
> call.  I disagree with that: I believe that the sensible way to turn
> such a set of essentially multiple sources is to unentangle those into
> multiple Debian source packages and build each of those separately.
>
> If untentangling into multiple Debian source packages was also what you
> talk about I do believe that untentangling into multiple Debian source
> packages is what Joshua intend to (eventually, when better understood)
> reach at.  If that is also what you are talking about above, then I
> simply suggest to not label it as "upside down" which can be
> misunderstood as the _build_ routines_ need fixing when really it is
> more fundamentally the _source organization_ which need fixing (too).
>
> A more descriptive labeling would in my opinion be "a big mess".
>
> ¹ Source format "1.0" is upstream tarball + Debian diff + dsc file, and
> source format "3.0 (quilt)" is upstream tarball + Debian tarball + dsc
> file.
>
> ² Indeed, Chromium is *not* a sensibly organized source package!

>>> I believe the reason QtMoko build routines fit badly with Debian
>>> style of packaging is that it does not use existing shared Qt
>>> libraries but instead embeds its own fork of Qt optimized for
>>> embedded devices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_Extended
>> It could be a renowned Debian citizen if it would not embed it but
>> just package and provide the special QtE libraries and then just use
>> the -dev version for dpkg-building the launcher, dialer, etc. This is
>> what Josua is working on:
>>
>> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=qtmoko2-qte.git;a=summary
> I guess that this:
>
>    "if it would not embed it"
>
> expands to this:
>
>    "if QtMoko project would not embed QtE libraries"
>
> and then we agree - except for the word "just": Joshua reports that
> there are trouble unentangling them because their interdependency seems
Not really. The configure script of qtmoko sets up a ton of qmake
projects, *one* of them being a build of Qt itself. The only thing
special about that Qt appears to be that it is built to use the
framebuffer directly for drawing.
In the past I have tried to build and package Qt standalone, and have
the qtmoko configure script find that existing qt. However there was
always some weird error message in a deeply hidden piece of either
configure(written in perl), qmake.pro, or more weird files referenced by
qmakefiles.
It is those build preparation files that also include a recursive call
of configure to itself with different arguments. I guess this is the
circular thing you remember.

Otherwise qtmoko should be a component based project, producing a bunch
of shared libraries, the qtmoko application, and a bunch of additional
applications.
I expect these to be organizable as individual qmake projects
referencing each others as dependencies, and called by a central qmake
subdirs project.