Hi Marek,

> Am 20.03.2018 um 20:56 schrieb Belisko Marek <marek.beli...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 8:15 PM, H. Nikolaus Schaller <h...@goldelico.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Josua,
>>
>>> Am 20.03.2018 um 19:49 schrieb Josua Mayer <josua.maye...@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi Nikolaus,

>>> I am not sure what the usecase would be. Maybe running Debian with a newer
>>> kernel to support those boards now, rather than in 5 years?
>>
>> Yes:
>> * newer kernel
>> * choice of configured systems
>> * other GUIs: QtMoko, Replicant, QuantumSTEP
>> * additional low-level hardware oriented command line tools

* and be sure that two devices behave the same (if hardware supports) for
self-written scripts and tools.
I.e. you do not have to take care of 10 different sets of bells and whistles
for 10 different SBCs.

>>> I have a feeling this is going to be difficult for i.mx8, judging from the
>>> time it took for the i.mx6 to be properly supported upstream.
>>
>> Indeed... AFAIK there is no i.MX8 support upstream yet. So it will need some
>> board support package...
> i.MX8 using proprietary NXP kernel which some parts some time can hit
> mainline

but I hope it is open source?

> (I'm not sure if i.MX7 can boot mainline - we're using at
> company kernel from NXP which is 4.1) and I think similar is with
> raspberrypi kernels - they use private repo to have best support (even
> some support is already present in mainline kernel though).

Well, the Letux-Kernel is not different, if we look at the number
of patches we still need on top of mainline to support the devices
we already do...

So supporting another SoC or SBC would not be fundamentally different,
just a lot of work for delta-patches.

>>> The Pi Zero however is a different story. armv6 *cough* means not single
>>> userspace :(
>>
>> Oops... I didn't know and expect this:
>>
>> https://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianFAQ#What_is_Raspbian.3F
>>
>> What is Raspbian?
>> Raspbian is an unofficial port of Debian wheezy armhf with compilation
>> settings adjusted to produce code that uses "hardware floating point", the
>> "hard float" ABI and will run on the Raspberry Pi.
>> The port is necessary because the official Debian wheezy armhf release is
>> compatible only with versions of the ARM architecture later than the one
>> used on the Raspberry Pi (ARMv7-A CPUs and higher, vs the Raspberry Pi's
>> ARMv6 CPU).

BR,
Nikolaus